Thursday, February 28, 2013

Face Value #2 - A Difference of Opinion

"Face Value #2:  A Difference of Opinion"
In an earlier entry I posted a picture of a 12" x 12" art quilt based upon the theme, "Face Value". for a Serendipity Art Quilt group exchange.   When I started developing my idea for this theme, my first attempt looked like this:
First attempt
(with images rendered in paint and water color pencil)
The bust silhouettes were hand painted with fabric paints.  I didn't like it.  The images were too flat, not spaced well and so I started over to create this piece for submission:
"Face Value #1:  It's Not a Black and White World"
(with appliqued silhouette images)
For several weeks the original attempt sat on my work table.  Even though I didn't like it, I didn't relegate it to the trash can.  Just a couple of days ago I revisited the first attempt to see if I might be able to salvage it in some manner.

#1- I stitched spikey lines around the silhouettes with dark red, heavy thread...
#2 - I machine embroidered the leaves with bright green and highlighted the scroll shapes with red Sharpie "Stained"...
#3- I densely quilted the background with circles...

#4 - I dry brushed the entire background with red Setacolor transparent fabric paint. and, finally, twisted deep red, cotton yarn into cording that I couched to the edge to finish the piece.
 Here, again, is the finished piece:
When all was said and done, I am glad that I did not toss the first attempt into the trash, but instead experimented with further surface design elements.


Sunday, February 3, 2013

Floral Studies on ACEO Cards

"Across Open Land" ACEO Cards
These cards were created from one of those "what if" questions--What if acrylic paint is mixed with Elmer's white glue?


1.   The glue thinned the paint to a transparent quality, spread smoothly, and remained wet on the card surface so that images could be inscribed with a dull implement.  I used the rounded wooden end of a paintbrush to inscribe looped shapes to suggest flowers. 

2.  Unlike thinning acrylic paints with water which tends to warp the card, the glue thinning agent first warped the paper but then it settled to a flat surface.

3.  The glue sealed the surface with a matte finish upon which I then added line drawings with a very fine Sharpie retractable pen and watercolor pencils.

All in all, I believe that the process of thinning acrylic paint with Elmer's glue was a successful one.

Here are closeups of each card:

Floral Study #1
Floral Study #2
Floral Study # 3
Floral Study #4
Marching Across the Land