This morning I ran across a few on-line video clips wherein people sprayed Sharpie ink drawn images with rubbing alcohol and took advantage of the bleeding.
As chance would have it, there was a 12" square of white muslin sitting on my worktable and it was just begging to be used.
|Design elements drawn onto fabric with Sharpie markers|
and then sprayed with rubbing alcohol
|The extracted element at the top right consisted of the first pen|
markings. Even though I didn't like the result of that area, I
continued to make repetitive floral markings.
|After the alcohol sprayed Sharpie ink was dry, the|
petal shapes were loosely outlined with black pigment ink to
When using this process, it is important to first lay the fabric on a waterproof surface. At first I laid the fabric on paper towels and this was a mistake. The colors ran beautifully onto the paper towels but not onto the fabric. When I repeated the process with the fabric laying on a piece of glass (the shiny side of freezer paper would work just as well), then the colors blended on the fabric and produced a more painterly look.
These are the times I wish I had not approached the experiment with reckless abandon and just started laying down pen lines. I really like 3/4 of the piece but that upper right hand corner ruins the whole thing--at least according to my sensibilities. Ah, but there is always a next time.