Thursday, February 28, 2013

Face Value #2 - A Difference of Opinion

"Face Value #2:  A Difference of Opinion"
In an earlier entry I posted a picture of a 12" x 12" art quilt based upon the theme, "Face Value". for a Serendipity Art Quilt group exchange.   When I started developing my idea for this theme, my first attempt looked like this:
First attempt
(with images rendered in paint and water color pencil)
The bust silhouettes were hand painted with fabric paints.  I didn't like it.  The images were too flat, not spaced well and so I started over to create this piece for submission:
"Face Value #1:  It's Not a Black and White World"
(with appliqued silhouette images)
For several weeks the original attempt sat on my work table.  Even though I didn't like it, I didn't relegate it to the trash can.  Just a couple of days ago I revisited the first attempt to see if I might be able to salvage it in some manner.

#1- I stitched spikey lines around the silhouettes with dark red, heavy thread...
#2 - I machine embroidered the leaves with bright green and highlighted the scroll shapes with red Sharpie "Stained"...
#3- I densely quilted the background with circles...

#4 - I dry brushed the entire background with red Setacolor transparent fabric paint. and, finally, twisted deep red, cotton yarn into cording that I couched to the edge to finish the piece.
 Here, again, is the finished piece:
When all was said and done, I am glad that I did not toss the first attempt into the trash, but instead experimented with further surface design elements.

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment