Saturday, April 29, 2017

"Waiting for Dawn"

It all started with a
one-of-a-kind print from many moons ago
Print Made from Raised Impression on a Small Serving Plate
and some hand dyed fabric remnants
After doing some dying, printing and piecing, I had come to a stopping place with a piece I was working on and started to clean up after making a mess.  Just couldn't bring myself to toss the dyed remnants.  I had 8small,  orange tone triangles and a several feet of left over strips of mottled grey fabric.  As I opened the draw were I save workable remnants, the print of a small bird caught my eye.  It had been hiding in that drawer for at least a couple of years.

I tried several arrangements of the remnants and finally settled on a design that I liked and set about piecing it.  On my worktable lay some green fabric that I thought might pull out the muted green in the print.  Yep.  It worked so I pieced a border with it, backed it with batting and fabric and set about doing simple stitch in the ditch quilting.

I could have bound or faced the piece, but since it was 12.5" x 12.5" and I had a 12" square stretched canvas on hand, I put a boxed facing around it and stapled the facing to the back of the canvas.
Stapling the Facing to the Back of the Frame
To finished the piece I cut a mat board backing, glued it to the back, attached small D-rings and strung the piece with hanging wire.  Waalaa!  Another brain fluff was complete.
"Waiting for Dawn"
 I dearly love the creative moments which come about with no planning, just the joy of making something from nothing.
Always remember, never fear to experiment.  
Sometimes wonderful things happen.
© Linda Friedman 2017.  All rights reserved

3 comments:

  1. I love that you're working with UFOs! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment, Mia. Little by little I am going through some old projects and also using old remnants to make new works. The other day I discovered that I've actually made headway into thinning out my stash of fabrics.

      Delete
  2. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
    หนังไทยใหม่

    ReplyDelete