Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dancing to the Stars - Screen Print


A friend presented me with a negative print of a photograph she took of a sculptural work against a clear sky. From that print, I made a silhouette on an embroidery hoop frame that was stretched with sheer curtain fabric. I then masked the design with very old, thick latex fence paint and double checked that no pinholes of light showed through the masking.

After the mask was thoroughly dry, I printed the screen with opaque silver silk screen ink. I then cut a star shape from a scrap of clear vinyl and stenciled multiple stars with gold fabric paint above each screened image.

The fabric at hand allowed space for printing six 13" x 13" repeat images.

Since these prints will ultimately be incorporated into a quilted work, I documented the image in a journal entry.








No comments:

Post a Comment