Friday, October 12, 2012

Melanie Testa's Breast Pocket Project

Melanie Testa's Breast Pocket Project to honor and recognize all the brave women who have chosen not to have reconstructive surgery after mastectomy has moved me to create 4 pockets for her project.  For many years I worked in a university based breast surgery program and came to know personally the significant choices that a women has when faced with body altering surgery and the impact that these choices have upon their lives.  I was also deeply moved by Mia Bloom's pockets that she made to honor her mother and her mother's friend.  Here are the four pockets that I have created to pay homage to the bravery and commitment to life for all the "flatties", as Melanie lovingly refers to each who has made this choice.
All Four Breast Pockets

Close-up of Breast Pocket with Ruffle

Close-up of Two Breast Pockets with Strips

Close-up of Breast Pocket with Beads


4 comments:

  1. thank you for participating in this cool project! my heart goes out. deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly an honor to make these pockets. Heightened awareness is very important.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to see the pockets you made. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the pockets you made to honor your mother and her friend was the catalyst for my finally devoting time to make a few pockets. I thank you for that, Mia.

      Delete