Wednesday, September 11, 2013

As We All Relive 9-11-01 - An Art Quilt to Mend the Heart


During the year that followed September 11, 2001, all our hearts were aching over the tragedy that befell New York.  This was also the year that I started what was to become my very first art quilt.  I had no understanding that there was even such a thing as an art quilt, but my spirit ached to find a outlet for the lingering pain that was heaped upon us that fateful day.  Like so many others I flew a flag at my home and I mounted a little flag on my car.  As the months passed, I began to encounter remnants of car flags on the streets and on the sidewalks of Los Angeles.  I couldn't let them lie abandoned so began picking them up and two ultimately were sewn onto this first, somewhat naively created art quilt.
The images of the Twin Towers in rubble were indelibly imprinted on my mind and began to emerge in a sort of crazy quilt central theme.
As September 11th rolls around each year, I retrieve this quilt and hang it in my humble abode in memory of those lost and as a reminder of the indomitable American spirit.  Today I think about the families and the survivors and pray that their lives are filled with a measure of peace from knowing that the entire nation has cried for them and supported them over these years since 9-11-01.
All contents of this blog are copyrighted. Linda Friedman  2003-2013.

5 comments:

  1. Only a free spirit like yours can issue these beautiful words.
    Thank you.
    I'm not american, but I feel the same about 09/11. The world suffered that day and we could not forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To "Anonymous",
      Your kind words touched my heart. Thank you, sister of a kinder world.
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda, I love the crazy quilt block-nice blog thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete