Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Genesis of a Composition

After squaring and trimming any art quilt creation, I never can bear to toss out trimmed elements that may someday have potentialOften these seem to be mini compositions all by themselves.  Sometimes I use these cut off pieces to audition a quilting pattern.  Sometimes I use them to merely check on tension before starting to quilt the larger piece from which they were cut.  Whether I use them for a purpose or not, I cannot bring myself to toss them.

As I was straightening up the studio this morning, I ran across a stack of these little gems and couldn't help playing with them on the design board.  I rather like how they work together.  Perhaps these will be worked into a whole new composition.

Here are a couple pictures of some pieces that jumped up at me and begged to be incorporated into a new work.
Section of possible composit

Full placement on design board
There is something about this that reminds me of a "modern quilt".  I know, it's a stretch of the imagination.  Be that as it may, I do like all the white that creates a background.

Since my design board is very large and portable, it takes up a lot of freestanding room in the studio so I am going to have to reluctantly remove the pieces and put them away, once again, for another day.  Oh, no!!! Another UFO and it hasn't even begun yet!
Always remember, never fear to experiment.  
Sometimes wonderful things happen.
 © Linda Friedman 2014.  All rights reserved.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment